1932 WALK ALONG THE SEA
It was an ambitious and imposing project, also if strange, the one of the cement on the bluff, almost an intervention to be considered «damned». Instead, little by little the project proposed its own validity and a new and rich content of meanings that was divided into two big
directories which began to stand out on the paper at the end of the 1920s, not without delays and corrections. So the«two trunks», well delineated ,were born. On 31st March 1932, in progress of work, they had their names. «Waterfront Cristoforo Colombo» was the name given to the walk from Crepatura to Caletta up to the Three Rock-cliffs, at the end of Portovecchio harbour, before reaching the pinewood. «Waterfront Amerigo Vespucci» was defined the line that with slightly different characteristics slightly but always with serpentine course and with thick backs of cement went from the Ausonia bathing establishment» up to Righini promontory, vanishing in front of the enormous and almost impassable massive structure of the overhanging rocks, like fantastic and huge figures , spread at random. How much did the jobs last? For once let us keep it all rather vague: a lot of time, years. How much did it cost? The figure was never quantified but it cost a lot of money. .This is confirmed by the payment of the last of the numerous lots,
which dates back to 1936 and was paid to the Serredi firm for a very substantial amount of money without counting the emoluments due to Ruffo Franceschi for work of embellishment and obstruction. The cement on the bluff. Starting from Crepatura. Immediately after the beach of Caletta, at the end of Marradi avenue, the level strip to embrace the inlet, with a slender bridge, even, on the
ditch at the beginning of the Park Uzzielli Park, then the first dock, after the deviation to graze the dock, sunk down there, among rocks interrupted only by an agile stairway. It was a surly shelter but excellently devised, minuscule, stony, sure. The waterfront continued to conform to the "pungenti" before arriving to the fresh little fountain of the park, defended eternally in vain by a net broken by the thirsty swimmers, with the red shelter of the brief little beach reserved to the nuns of St. Joseph nearby . Soon after an unexpected curve, with a rock-cliff almost insinuated on the pedestrian road,
then the opening into Portovecchio harbour with its docks and the curvilinear course in front of the sand that existed then and that was prolonged up to the stores of the Faccenda family, before reaching the so-called «Granchiaia» and finishing with a short stairway on the sea and with a terraced avenue that went forwards into the superb green of the pinewood.